Here are the warning signs of liver problems with respective prognosis. The first one is quite common as many people are suffering from this due to the availability of these over-the-counter pills.
My partner who suffered from alcoholism exhibited many of the symptoms of Liver Cirrhosis; it is the main reason why I wrote about warning signs of liver problems, he was not aware that he had these problems. His threshold of pain was enormously high.
1. Acetaminophen Toxicity
The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) reports that if you are taking the maximum approved daily dosage of acetaminophen – a substance present in a range of common medications such as Tavist Allergy/Sinus/Headache Caplets, Vicks DayQuil Multi-symptom Cold/Flu Relief Liquid, and Tylenol – you could develop early signs of liver damage.
Symptoms of Acetaminophen Toxicity
2. Alcoholic Liver Disease
Symptoms of Alcoholic Liver Disease. Symptoms are usually worse after an episode of heavy drinking, and tend to vary with the severity and progression of the disease. Sometimes symptoms do not present themselves until the disease is relatively advanced.
Additional warning signs of liver problems associated with the disease:
3. Primary Liver Cancer
- generally remains undetected until it has reached the advanced stages because most people do not exhibit symptoms early on.
By protecting yourself from cirrhosis and hepatitis – the two leading causes of the disease – you can greatly reduce your risk of developing liver cancer.
In 2007, approximately 19,000 new cases of liver cancer – one of the only cancers on the rise in the United States – were diagnosed. This is 1,000 more than in 2006, and a fifty percent increase over ten years ago.
Symptoms of liver problems caused by Primary Liver Cancer
4. Liver Cirrhosis
- is generally considered to be the 4th stage of Alcoholic Liver Disease, a progressive condition.
The most common cause of liver cirrhosis, chronic alcoholism accounts for approximately forty percent of the 26,000 people who die from the disease.
Cirrhosis is characterized by the replacement of healthy tissue with fibrous tissue, regenerative nodules, and liver scarring. The resulting hardening of the liver interferes with blood circulation, eventually leading to a complete loss of liver function.
Warning Signs of Liver Problems caused by Cirrhosis - During the early stages, many people with cirrhosis experience no symptoms. However, as scar tissue replaces healthy cells, and liver function begins to fail, a person may experience a variety of symptoms and complications.
5. Liver Cysts which is also known as a hepatic cyst is another common condition. Usually liver cysts are normally benign and do not pose any problems or health risks, but in some cases the warning signs of liver problems has to do with the large growth of liver cysts that cause pain or discomfort in the upper right part of the abdomen, due to liver enlargement, bile duct infection, or obstruction of the bile ducts, causing the cyst itself to become infected.
In these cases, it is necessary to drain and/or remove the cyst. Liver cysts are only detected by chance during other types of testing.
6. Fatty Liver Disease (Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease – NAFLD) - or steatosis
- is generally considered to be the 1st stage of Alcoholic Liver Disease, a progressive condition. The exact cause of NAFLD is unclear.
Simple fatty liver (steatosis) – There are no symptoms.
Warning Signs of Liver Problems caused by Fatty Liver Disease - You may have NAFLD without any signs or symptoms. If there are symptoms, they are normally vague and non-specific. In the early stages, you may experience fatigue, malaise, or a dull ache in your upper right abdomen. More advanced stage of NAFLD, the symptoms are:
7. Liver Fibrosis
- is generally considered to be the 3rd stage of Alcoholic Liver Disease which is a progressive condition.
It is characterized by the formation of fibroids or fibrous tissue, regenerative nodules, and liver scarring, which impede blood circulation, and lead to progressive loss of liver function and is commonly caused by alcoholism and hepatitis C, cirrhosis is a degenerative disease of the liver.
Warning Signs of Liver Problems caused by Liver Fibrosis
8. Another common prognosis with warning signs of liver problems is Hepatitis
– is an inflammation of the liver. Hepatitis is not one, but many diseases – Hepatitis A through E – in which the liver becomes inflamed, and its cells are damaged as a result of inflammatory chemicals being produced and released in the liver.
Symptoms of Liver Problems caused by Hepatitis The symptoms of various hepatitis forms are similar, the most noticeable being jaundice. As the viral infection spreads throughout the liver, the organ becomes enlarged, often causing abdominal pain.
Warning Signs of liver Problems caused by Chronic hepatitis B infection increases a person’s chance of developing liver cancer by one hundred times.
9. Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis (PSC)
- is inflammation of the bile ducts of the liver. Sclerosing is inflammation that leads to the extensive formation of fibrous and scar tissue.
In primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC), the bile ducts inside and outside the liver have become inflamed and scarred.
Warning Signs of Liver Problems caused by PSC - because PSC progresses slowly, the disease can be present for many years before symptoms appear. The predominant symptoms are:
10. Here is the last prognosis with warning signs of liver problems - Jaundice
- is not a disease, but rather a symptom that can occur as a result of a variety of diseases. It appears as a yellowish discoloration of the skin and whites of the eyes caused by the abnormal buildup of bilirubin in the blood.
An orange-yellow pigment, bilirubin is part of bile; it forms in the liver as a byproduct of old blood cells. When there are too many red blood cells dying for the liver to cope with, yellow pigment builds up in the body resulting in jaundice.
The presence of jaundice is an indicator that a person is suffering from one of a variety of diseases including: